Friday 23 October 2020

The Moonflower Block

We had a great virtual AGMof the Irish Patchwork Society last Saturday, and as usual, one of the highlights was a quilt challenge, this year it was to make a 15'' flower block using one colour only (various tints and shades of it).

Mine was a simple stylised flower in a sort of pinkish-purple colour which I don't even know the name of. Would you call it magenta? fuchsia? orchid? My phalaenopsis is kind of similar.


I was lucky to have a matching variegated YLI thread to quilt the background, it gave the simple block a definite level up.


Well, I thought I would share the pattern for this block in case somebody would like to try it. You can make it into a cushion or use a block in your project, would be lovely to make a whole quilt of these in different colours. You can choose a more traditional colour scheme, though.

It's not that difficult if you are new to curve piecing, and it should be a breeze if you have done some drunkard's path or New York beauty blocks before. The process is described in tutorials for the butterfly block and the hydrangea flower block, it's the same - just remember the matching marks, take your time to pin everything and stitch slowly. You can choose a more traditional colour scheme.


It is assembled in three blocks, and the order of assembly is reflected in part numbering.


You can download the pattern at this link.


A technical note: The overall size of the pattern is 16'' squared, the dash line shows 15'' square,  the reason is this block was meant for a quilt-as-you-go project, so it was quilted and then trimmed to 15,5'', as there is some shrinkage during quilting, I prefer to start with 16''.

I'd be happy to see if you make this block, so please let me know by email or tag me on Instagram @lena.pugachova

Linking up to:

Off the Wall Friday at Creations by Nina-Marie

Can I get a Whoop Whoop? at Confessions of a Fabric Addict

UPD:

I have made the block into a little cushion for my daughter's room.




8 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing the pattern for your beautiful flower. The curved quilting really makes it stand out. I'm not an adventurous quilter, and usually shy away from curves, but the flower is lovely I may have to challenge myself and try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very pretty and that quilting design in the background is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely block. The curved quilting enhances the fan of the flower. Very generous of you to share the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Прекрасный элегантный блок! Спасибо, что поделились. Обязательно сошью! Всегда, когда встречаю ваши работы в сети, получаю большое удовольствие.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty -- and your quilting is spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a pretty block! I think of "cerise" for this kind of pink shade.

    ReplyDelete
  7. GPS is really a heaven sent gadget, you can always pinpoint your exact location wherever you are~ urban treasures showroom

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...