Thursday 15 October 2020

Green and Grunge

Initially, I planned a wallpapered focus wall for my new living room, then the plans changed. I decided to have a mural instead, but I kept it simple, a stylised line drawing forming a sort of a frame with an empty space in the middle of the wall. And that empty space was meant for... a quilt, of course.

So, here it is, all done, but it's not on the wall yet, so we'll have an interior design update later, and for today it's all about the quilt. 

It follows the bedroom quilt in being purely abstract, more or less Art Deco style art. This one is all about organic shapes and colours, hinting at some kind of plant life, but never totally clear - maybe it's not just plants, maybe it's Life itself? I wonder what you see in there.

For myself, I can say I totally enjoyed the process - from sketching to quilting and that I'm pleased with the result. I chose Moda Grunge fabrics to make it because they seem to fit the aesthetic of my living room and because I was hoping to finish it in time for the Moda Grunge Contest, which I didn't manage. 

It was fun to use so many different quilting motifs with my beloved YLI variegated threads, I had three different green mixes which worked brilliantly with the seven green fabrics, sometimes blending in, sometimes standing out. I even managed to quilt some decent feathers, which I normally find very hard, a confined shape probably made it easier.

One question still remains, though - what shall I call it? The working title is The Green Quilt, which doesn't quite do it justice. Any suggestions?

Linking up to:

Off the Wall Friday at Creations by Nina-Marie

Can I Get a Whoop Whoop at Confessions of a Fabric Addict


10 comments:

  1. Grow green? Green thumb? All curves?
    I like it a lot whatever you call it. I am guessing it's all pieced? You did not talk about your process as you usually do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh do write a post on the designing and piecing. I love reading about people's creativity especially when I don't have the time for it. I have to revisit your curved piecing to refresh my memory of it.

      Delete
  2. I don't have any name suggestions so I'm no help there. But I love it! I love how creative it is, and that you have the perfect place to display it, and that you used so many different quilting motifs. And grunge, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's stunning! It reminds me of a needlepoint design derived from a Pucci print. (I special-ordered the needlepoint pattern from a magazine....45 years ago. I never made it. :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't think of a name right now, but It is absolutely gorgeous. I love your quilting, which makes it even better. What kind of machine are you using, regular domestic, mid arm, long arm? How big is it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love, love, LOVE this one with all of its greens, arcs, and leaves!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your curved piecing, design, fabric selection and quilting choices are impeccable. What a stunning piece. How about Deco Dreams, since this quilt will grace the bedroom?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful, beautiful! Love the piecing and am fully envious of the quilting. What a fun quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perhaps you should also a put a forum site on your blog to increase reader interaction.*::-` ki residences

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...