Thursday 14 January 2021

Owl Be Watching You

 It took me the first week of January to finish my biggest "debt" from last year. I posted about work in progress on it back in July and finished the top speedily, but then it had to wait for its turn to be quilted.

I designed the pattern specifically to use a sunset-coloured fat quarter bundle and my vision was based on stained glass cathedral windows (as you can see from some of the shapes that make up the background). Every quilter is familiar with the stained glass effect you get if look at a top against light, and here it was especially pertinent.

The pattern is quite complex, with a lot of small bits, but comes together nicely. I was wondering if anybody would be interested to purchase the pattern? I'm planning to start adding patterns to my Etsy shop this year.

The whole quilt is curve pieced, this is a detail of the wrong side of the top in process:

And this is my little helper taking care of the cut pieces:

As usual, it took me a long time to decide how to quilt it; I went for some ornate pattens on the owl, especially the wing...


... mixed floral and geometric patterns on the moon...



... and parallel lines on the leaves and the sky.



This caused some problems with flattening the quilt, but I like the effect quilting gives it.


So, this is the owl finished, and I have a perfect place for it at the top of the stairs, where it is supposed to look like a window (I know you have to have a really vivid imagination to think it is a window) and the owl is watching you every time you climb the stairs.


Linking up to:

Off the Wall Friday at Creation by Nina Marie

Can I Get a Whoop Whoop? at Confessions of a Fabric Addict

13 comments:

  1. I am interested in the pattern... this is fabulous... love how you quilted it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't say when, but I'll be definitely adding it to. my Etsy shop; watch this space!

      Just to let you know, your comment came us as a "non-reply blogger", otherwise would be glad to answer you personally.

      Delete
  2. This is incredible, the pattern, the colors and the quilting! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you Joanne!

      Just to let you know, your comment came us as a "non-reply blogger", otherwise would be glad to answer you personally.

      Delete
  4. I love everything about this quilt. The curves, colors, quilting and imagery. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful quilt, with gorgeous fabrics, curves, quilting lines. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome quilt. The colors. The quilting! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a stunning piece! I love everything about it -- your piecing design, your fabrics, the execution, and the fabulous quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness! Absolutely gorgeous. It reminds me of the celtic visions of the Song of the Sea movie from Ireland. Not sure if that was intentional. I would definitely buy the pattern if you offered it on your Etsy page. Its stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to buy that pattern today! I'm across the pond and hope you can provide a pattern download option. Love your work!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, thank you for your interest, the pattern is actually ready and I'll be adding it to my Etsy shop in the next few days. Please visit https://www.etsy.com/ie/shop/LenaPugachova

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...