Thursday 14 May 2020

Lots Of Pockets

Another look back at the projects not featured on the blog yet - this was a first birthday present for my niece:


I rarely buy panels, but this one had bright colours, cute animals and lovely florals - everything I love, so I thought it would be great for one on my baby nieces. As they both had been supplied with baby quilts already, I decided to make a panel of pockets that can go on the side of the baby cot, rails at the the top of the stairs of on the wall somewhere.


I was sensible enough to buy a blender fabric from the same collection at once, so that was used for the sashing, and three baby fabrics from another collection went to the inside of the pockets, backing and binding. I used the quilt-as you-go method to put it all together, with the only difference that the pockets and pocket "lining" had to be quilted separately before stitched together at the edges. The pockets are slightly wider than the lining to allow for two little tucks that create the volume inside.


The quilting was very simple, just parallel lines in various directions, but it did take quite a lot of time. Putting the blocks together was easy, although handling the thing became more difficult when the rows were put together, because it's heavier and more unbending than a normal quilt with all the layers going on.


The corner triangles and loops at the back hold the poles, so that the whole thing keeps shape even if stuff is stuffed into the pockets, and the ribbons are there to tie it to the rail.


On the whole, it was quite a different project to what I usually do, requiring a lot of technical decisions rather than artistic ones, but I'm happy with how it turned out.


Linking up to :
Can I Get a Whoop Whoop? at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Off the Wall Friday at Creations by Nina-Marie

8 comments:

  1. Fabulous work! I'm sure your niece will treasure it her whole life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! The fabrics you used are so fun for a child. Wonderful finish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really sweet. It was really clever to cut a penel apart to make the pockets. I love the idea of placing the triangle corners and poles in the back to keep the shape. I never would have thought of that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my this is just so darn cute but oh so functional at the same time. Very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This has to be one of the cutest baby gifts ever! I love the choice of fabric, so happy. Your backing is inspirational with those bars to keep it all in place. I'm sure it will be cherished by baby and mother.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a darling gift!!! So smart, you are. It's SEW useful, too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...