Tuesday 14 April 2020

We Are All Mad Here

Finally working on a new quilt which I had been thinking about for a year now. With all the "practical" projects I did recently, I was really longing to something "arty". The general idea is playing with the Mad Tea Party theme (I have tea on my mind a lot for some reason).


So, the quilt is going to have a curve-pieced background and raw-edge appliqué, a combination of my favourite techniques, and a nice balance between the planned and the improvised. This is the original sketch for the background:


I was rather intimidated by the number of pieces and the small size of some of them, so I had to be very careful keeping track of everything at the early stages, it felt like playing with a jigsaw puzzle.


However, the piecing went quite smoothly, and the top turned out flat, and proper pressing and  quilting will take care of any wobbles left.


Basically, I needed just black and white fabrics, but I decided to use slightly different shades - three black/dark grey and three white/light grey - of Moda Grunge to create a little bit of depth.

If you look close enough, you'll see that not all the corners are perfectly matched, but I'm not really fussy about that as long as everything lies flat. The geometric nature of the pattern makes it easy to deal with seams - just iron everything to the dark side as in "normal" straight-line patchwork.



With the background ready, I now have to choose fabrics for the appliqué and decide what to do in the way of quilting. I really wouldn't like to change the quilting thread from black to white and back again for every "square", so I need to find a way of quilting it all with one thread.

Off to find my thinking cap hat and hoping I won't go any crazier than I already am.



As always, linking up to Off the Wall Friday at Creations by Nina-Marie
Can I Get a Whoop Whoop at Confessions of a Fabric Addict



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...