Friday 15 November 2019

Variations

It is most fitting to post about this quilt today as we are going to see the production of Swan Lake by Ballet Ireland tonight.


It was made for the IPS exhibition on the theme "There's always one" that took place as a part of the Knitting and Stitching Show last weekend. I thought long about the possible interpretations of the theme, and most of what came to mind was humorous, I don't know why I opted for the more sinister idea in the end.


It is done as raw edge appliqué, without bonda web or anything, as I thought the frayed edges would render the feathers and the whole surreal experience better. So the figures are quilted at the same time as they are appliquéd, so that stitching adds to the shape and detailing.


I also love how the background fabrics work here - Fossil Fern, one of my favourite collections ever - it has splashes and feathery fern leaves, all you can wish for to render the turmoil of the transformation.


I quilted the background in swirls and spirals to add more movement.


We went to see it in the exhibition, which was great - so many different interpretations and different techniques used. You can see some images from the exhibition on IPS Facebook page.

Linking up to Off the Wall Friday at Creations by Nina-Marie
Can I Get A Whoop Whoop? at Confessions of a Fabric Addict



1 comment:

  1. I hope you enjoyed the ballet! I went with mum and loved being in the Gaiety admiring the amazing chandelier. It made me smile when I saw your piece in the K&S. Love the ballet poses and the transformation into swans.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...